Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Where Did That Post Come From?

Okay, so I've gotten several e-mails this morning indicating the writers thought my last post was kinda off the wall.

I use Gmail (the Google mail service). Google's search engines scan your mail and then post paid links that are somehow related to the contents of your inbox. This morning I clicked-through on takebackyourheart, and read the following:

Hey Girlfriend,

Can I ask you something personal?
Be honest...

Have you ever dated the type of guy that left you constantly waiting by the phone with an uneasy sick feeling in the pit of your stomach?

Or a guy who made you feel bad about yourself, but for some reason you couldn’t leave him? (Of course, that same guy, at times, also made you feel like you were the only person on this planet - you know, that “hot-cold” type).

And have you ever walked into a club and found yourself so attracted to one particular guy, you felt like you were in a trance and literally couldn't stop making eyes with him?

If you answered yes to any of the above, it may be a sign that you’re susceptible to a certain “dangerous personality type” that psychiatrists have a SCARY sounding name for, which I'll tell you about in a sec...


Now I normally don't read anything where someone calls me "girlfriend", but I saw myself, loud and clear, in the contents of this advertisement. So I had to go Google the definition of "sociopath". And ever since then, while I'm sitting at my desk doing research on the storage needs of small and medium businesses, I'm scanning back across the men in my history to see how many of them fit this description. Ouch. It's really scary.

I think I need to change my ways of being.

(Oh, to that end I have a dinner date on Saturday night with someone who bears no resemblance to a sociopath. Whew.)

No comments: