Thursday, October 05, 2006

Pre-Judgment; Pre-Approval

I mentioned that I have a date on Saturday night. This is a man who works a (to me) strange schedule. He's up at 3:15 or so every morning, and (I project) asleep by 8:00 each evening. I prejudge that he wouldn't be an ideal candidate for a long-term, cohabiting relationship with someone who likes to read herself to sleep in bed at 10:30 or 11:00 p.m. But I don't know — don't know his attitudes on such matters, don't know what his hopes and longings are. It will be fun getting to know him. I'm looking forward to this new relationship-friendship-whatevership. He happens to have been reading this blog for a significant period of time; I think he probably knows me better than any other woman he's ever gone on a first or second date with.

My kids have strong opinions (welcomed by me) of what's right and not-so-right for their mom who has traveled such a long and tortuous road. If you read back through the comments on this blog, you'll notice numerous places where they have voiced their opinions.

Y'know how in times of yore the man would go to the woman's father and ask permission to date her? I think maybe I oughta just pass a list of guys-with-possibilities to my kids and let them vet the man first before I start going out with him. They could ask the 21st century equivalent of "what are your intentions". I'm not sure exactly what those questions might be, but you can bet I'll be pondering that for a future post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! For the right reasons, I can play with the vampires too!

Besides, Friday and Saturdays don't count because there's no reason to get up early on those days.

Anonymous said...

Besides, I can think of a lot of other things to do in bed besides "reading one's self to sleep." O.K.??