Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Merging Lives

My sons' half-sister (my first husband's daughter) has just announced her engagement. She's so excited about the upcoming wedding. [I laughed when I read in her blog that she's been dating this young man for nine weeks and engaged to him for two-and-a-half of those weeks. Her father proposed to me after one week of dating.] Young people, getting married for the first time, don't realize how lucky they are to be merging their lives before they've created households, before they've amassed a bunch of cr**, er, stuff.

I saw F's home last night. Wow. Here's a 50-something divorced man who's been on his own for a long time, and he knows how to make a beautiful, peaceful haven. I'm not talking tons o' money spent on a residence. (I've been there already and it wasn't peaceful.) This is a simple setting with hours and hours of elbow grease and tender loving care put into his surroundings.

I think that says a lot about who he is, how comfortable he is in his own skin.

A guy can sit on his butt in front of talking (screaming) heads or a football game, or he can get off his butt and put thought into his environment. This man clearly knows how to do that.

He and I moved into our new homes within ten days of each other. There's no comparison between how settled he is and how settled I am.

I'm impressed. I don't impress easily.

And this man shall henceforth be known on this site as the Gardener.

No comments: