Thursday, October 05, 2006

Imputed Honor

I think one of my problems in trying to find the relationship is that I am too open, too honest, too "what you see is what you get." Because I am so open, so real, I attribute that trait to everyone I deal with. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not very realistic. But I believe the best of everyone, and I think the way I treat people is the best way. And I just presume that's how I'll be treated.

But that leads to me being hurt or let-down. Someone said to me about Mr. Match that he "generally means *precisely* what he says, no more and no less, and with no intervention of common sense or interpretation. And he genuinely doesn't understand what other people interpret from his words and "doesn't get" their reactions."

That would certainly explain why "I love you" carried with it, for him, no responsibility to change his actions or narrow his focus.

In light of this knowledge, should I change my ways of being? Should I become more cynical or more covered or more judicious in exposing my feelings? I want to think the answer is "no". I want to keep my viewpoint, however misguided, that the world is a good place and people are, as a rule, nice.

Call me a fool, if you must.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could at least raise your expectations on what "I love you" means -t

jc said...

But doesn't it mean what it means - that you matter to me, that I want the very best for you, that I care about your joys and your sorrows?

Oh, yeah, I guess I thought I heard him saying things he wasn't really saying.

jc said...

So, Ty, are you inferring that telling a woman you love her implies you're going to act like a grown-up?