Saturday, October 28, 2006

Being a Hood Ornament Takes a Lot of Work

I was thinking the other day as I was carefully choosing an outfit to wear to dinner that it's a lot of work staying in shape and looking good in order to bolster a man's ego.

The Traveler indicated to me the other day that he thinks Mr. Match is all wet with his concept of "sticking it to" all the men in a restaurant when he walks in with a pretty woman on his arm. The Traveler said when he's sitting in a restaurant alone, which he does frequently, he doesn't notice men-with-pretty-women differently from men-with-plain-women differently from men-with-no-women. He didn't say so, but I imagine he does notice women-with-no-men.

When I'm concerned about men noticing me and checking me out, I dress in much more form-fitting clothes and make sure my makeup is in place and hair is decent. If I'm just running to the store and not concerned with being noticed, I'm apt to wear shorts and one of John's old shirts. That's my comfort attire.

I guess this post is similar in concept to an earlier post about women who have been married for a long time and how they must be threatened by all of us single women looking for a man.

Sometimes a women's commune sounds like a nice alternative: I could wear my shorts and big shirt all the time and not worry about hair and makeup.

Ah, the price we pay to attract men!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can read me like a book. This can be scary, but you're right, I do check out single women at a restaurant.