Monday, September 11, 2006

Why does love hurt?

Are there people for whom love doesn't hurt?

Does thick skin or total and complete self-assurance make it hurt less or not-at-all? (We all know I am not possessed of either of those traits.)

Probably the most important lesson I learned in my thirties is that you cannot set the priorities for anyone but yourself. I guess that would have to go hand-in-hand with not having the right to criticize decisions other people make that they deem to be in their best interest.

I know I'm talking through a lot of clouds here, but I'm hurting today for a decision, a choice, that Mr. Match made last night. It's not directly about me, and it comes at a time of great stress in his life, so I'm trying to give him some latitude here. I can choose to make his decision a deal-breaker. Or not. I choose not. I may decide later on that I made a mistake, but for now I'm just going to sit on my thumbs and wait patiently to see what happens next.

I hate this part of life. I hate the uncertainty and the testing. I want to find Him, whoever He is, and start living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few uplifting thoughts from the minds of wiser people than I:

"The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself."
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, essays

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live."
- von Goethe, Faust

"The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you." - Kahlil Gibran, Sand & Foam

A devotion about others formerly and presently in your life:

"If only you knew that wonders surround all that you do....everywhere....all the time, you would have searched your little corner of the world and been continuously amazed." - Lance Wubbels

Reflections:

Butterflies count not months but moments, and yet have time enough.
- Tagore

We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not figures on a dial. We should count time by heart throbs. He most lives who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best. - Philip James Bailey

And finally some real humor:

Learning and sex unti rigor mortis!
- Maggie Kuhn

"Boys are beyond the range of anybody's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of eighteen and ninety years."
- James Thurber