Friday, September 22, 2006

Melding Lives

I've had a couple of conversations lately with The Traveler regarding hours of work. He is at his desk most mornings at 5:00 a.m. I know where he lives (just around the corner from where my kids used to live) and it's not very convenient to anything. So I think he must get up at 3:30 or 4:00 to go to work.

As I told you, I've been insanely busy this week — up at 5:30, to bed at midnight. This morning I was up at 5:00 and out the door at 6:15 for a 7:00 meeting. I'm exhausted. But at least Rudi is the only feline or person with whom I have to deal. I can imagine that if I had a man permanently ensconced in my life and house, he would be feeling rather neglected by this time.

So how do adults who have busy lives make time and space for someone in their lives? I want a permanent man. What will I have to sacrifice if that ever occurs. And in light of the payoff, is it really a sacrifice?

I'm inclined to think slowing down for the addition of love in my life would be no sacrifice at all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do fall out of bed, turn on a blinding light and crawl to the shower at 3:15 a.m. to arrive in the office before 5:00 a.m. But, there is method to my madness. I don't have to put with any nightmarish traffic at that time of the morning and, the traffic going home is usually light. I live in the first half of the day ever since I had to attend the afternoon session of middle school. I got out at 6:00 p.m. and walked 3.50 miles home. It was around 7:00 p.m. when I opened the front door to find the rest of my family watching T.V. after they had dinner. I ate cold meals by myself at the kitchen counter five nights a week. I grew to hate eating alone. Remember, I'm a social creature. Anyway, I prefer to live most of my life in daylight. Now, I agree with you that one must make plenty of time for their significant other. Actually, that's more important than any work or job.