Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What a Grandma Does


This is a photo of a typical day in my life when I'm with the kids. I am not complaining. I'm just giving you a little peek into my life. I think I stated this before, probably more than once, but I'll say it again, just for effect.

Whatever I can do to take a bit of work off my kids allows them more time to spend with the babies or to pursue their own interests, whether it's becoming a better parent or a better writer or a better photographer. What does it cost me to help out? Nothing! So I wash, dry, fold, straighten, put away. And when I leave they have a peaceful house around them. I'm the Angel of Grandmothering. Or something like that. And I feel good about how I'm able to help out.

We grandmothers are told, when our children have their children, that we are to go help our daughters or daughters-in-law. When we go to help, we are to cook and clean. We are not to spend countless hours holding the new baby. We are to free up the parents to adjust to life as parents. I've just continued that advice into adolescence.

But now I'm home and faced with a house in chaos that I must quickly put back in order. I think I'll be taking some afternoons off this week!

Oh, and what was Boston doing while I was folding laundry? Playing with my new phone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I truly honor you for helping out your kids with the laundry and household chores while you are visiting - and in that vein, I want to invite you to visit me! :)

Jill said...

I can't waite - Veronica has another four or five years and then the pressure is on for grandchildren.