Monday, January 14, 2008

Guest Room (formerly known as the Babies' Room)

Remember the brilliant yellow room with the mural of butterflies, ladybugs and bees? Well, here's the newer, cleaner, more buyer-friendly room.


I made the five Bali batik throw pillows today to bring a little color and interest into the room. My fave is the envelope-shaped one on the left bed. The button is incredible and best appreciated in person, hands-on. It's from a collection of antique buttons I bought on eBay several years ago.


I had an image in my mind of how I wanted the pillow to work, but when I finished cutting the fabric, I realized I had miscalculated, and the finished pillow wouldn't fit the pillow form I intended to insert into the finished pillow case.

I looked around my sewing room and found some white flannel left over from a previous project, and some down left over from Tyler and Jaci's sofa cushion remake, so I just made a little down pillow, 5"x9", to put into the case. And when I was done, there was goose down flying all over my kitchen.

This kind of sewing project is great fun for me. I've collected all these pieces of Bali batiks and hand-dyed fabrics over the past eight years, loving them and saving them for some special project. Voila! A special project. The fun is in discovering the fabrics in my stash and knowing I had all the materials needed to make these cute pillows.

Oh Bindy! Your room is ready. C'mon over.

(If that's Greek to you, Bindy the Mad Beader is my dear friend who will stay with me for the bead show this year.)

No comments: