Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Reluctant Geek

As I was proofreading the previous post, I suddenly remembered a (to me) hilarious anecdote that I must share today.

In June of 1996, John and I traveled with the Oratorio Society of Washington/The Washington Chorus to Paris, London, Cirencester, Oxford and Bath on a concert tour where we performed the Fauré Requiem and the Vivaldi Gloria.

A few days before we left, John's department in the Defense Intelligence Agency offices at the Pentagon had installed new computers. He was so excited to have a CD drive on which he could play music while at work. His own personal CD player.

We were gone for ten days. On his first day back at the office, he called me at the law firm in a panic. He had forgotten how to open the CD drive and had inadvertently pushed the CD into the 5.25" floppy drive. He was mortified that he'd have to call the tech support guys and admit his ignorance.

In trying to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution, I asked him, "was it a software CD or a music CD?"

He replied, quizzically, "They put software on CDs?"

No comments: