Thursday, June 14, 2007

Life's Options

I had dinner last night with my two dearest friends in Tucson. We used to get together once a month for dinner, but my move and Millie's house remodel and Lea's back surgery and complex life got in the way. We hadn't seen each other for over a year.

I had to fill them in on the chaos that is my life. I said, "I might be able to retire." Lea, who is 68 and incredibly active, vibrant, and vital, said, "You don't want to retire!"

That got me started thinking about all the things I want to do.

  • I have enough fabric in my stash to sew bags and quilts for two years before running out.

  • I have enough dye and silk in my stash to study fabric dyeing every day for a month without stopping for more supplies.

  • I have a serger that I haven't used since my intro class.

  • I have an embroidery machine that has many more features than I've learned how to use.

  • I have recently bought about ten new clothing patterns that I want to try.

  • I want to study clothing design.

  • I want to learn to digitize designs for embroidery.

  • I want to try new applique techniques.

  • I want to relearn how to knit — correctly this time.

  • I want to master bead crochet.

  • I want to develop a curriculum to teach underprivileged young people to sew or quilt or dye fabric.

  • I want to share my love of all things fiber with others.

  • I want to be available to help my daughter-in-law when she's got a scrapbooking design idea or a photo shoot she wants to do and needs a break from the kids.

  • I want to be available to help her when Tyler is travelling and she needs an hour to just soak in the tub or vegetate.

  • I want to …

You get the idea. And that list doesn't even touch upon all the computer things I want to learn how to do: Javascript, Photoshop, Flash, …. Or all the books I want to read. Just as I now have more interests than time to pursue them, I imagine I could be retired for a very long time and not begin to feel bored.

Now if I can just figure out how to make that happen.

No comments: