Thursday, June 07, 2007

More Marge Piercy

I found the fragment that was read at John's and my wedding. It's from the compilation "My Mother's Body". The poem is entitled "Why marry at all?"

We start where we find
ourselves, at this time and place

which is always the crossing of roads
that began beyond the earth's curve
but whose destination we can now alter.

This is a public saying to all our friends
that we want to stay together. We want
to share our lives. We mean to pledge
ourselves through times of broken stone
and seasons of rose and ripe plum;
we have found out, we know, we want to continue.

You can read the full poem here.

Reading these words again brings tears to my eyes and wonderful memories of our wedding. How lucky/blessed/charmed I was that John and I found each other once and again. June 30th will mark nine years since his passing, with very few of those days occurring without my thinking of him.

No comments: