Friday, June 01, 2007

Niceness and Success

Marcia Gould and I have talked about commuting together to Cleveland to rehearsals of the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra Chorus, but their rehearsals are on Monday nights and Monday is her worst day at work. Further, she thinks she couldn't get in. She thinks I'm much better than she. But she doesn't know I'm all ear.

Anyway, I just went to the Pittsburgh Symphony Website to research their chorus to see what I can find out about rehearsals and auditions. I notice that Marvin Hamlisch is their Principal Pops Conductor. He holds the same position with the National Symphony Orchestra and the San Diego Symphony. He also guests as Pops conductor with many orchestras including, if I remember correctly, the Tucson Symphony.

C'mon. How does this guy get all these gigs? Does he just have a fabulous agent? The man is a jackass. The man is a bloated, self-important, nastynastynasty jackass! He doesn't know how to treat musicians with respect. His tongue can be especially harsh when correcting a perceived error in the chorus or orchestra. He's just not a nice man. But look how successful he's become.

Was he a really good guy in a former life, so he was allowed to come back as a jackass in this life?! Some things just don't make sense.

No comments: