Monday, July 14, 2008

WW?D

Yesterday's post has prompted comments, both on- and off-blog. Have you noticed that people seem to feel more passionately about religion that anything else in life, except for politics?

Today's conversations involved religion/Christianity and philosophy, and their ability to peacefully cohabit. EEFFH, whose advanced degree and wealth came from computer science, loved philosophy more than anything else. One Sunday, when we were visiting St. Philip's in the Hills Episcopal Church in Tucson for First Sunday music, he noticed a woman who was a philosophy professor at the University of Arizona in line for communion. He said, "She must not be much of a philosopher if she believes in taking communion."

First Husband, who believed one must spend x hours a day in prayer and Bible reading, did some pretty horrible post-divorce things to me regarding our children, all in the name of Christianity.

Throw those two experiences in a pot, add a a number of other negative experiences, stir over medium-high heat until thoroughly blended, and you can understand why I tend to turn and walk away when approached by either discipline.

Then I see a bumper sticker. WWJD. What would Jesus do.

Really? What does it matter? What would Jesus do? What would Buddha do? What would Walt Disney do? What would Elvis do?
'
Why should I have to ask any of those questions?

What would I, as a self-respecting ethical member of the human race, do?

We were reading the other day about a murder and Tyler said he didn't understand how anyone could kill someone. Truly, how does that happen? What goes wrong inside a person's brain that makes murder okay or desirable?

I watch Tyler and Jaci raising their children. They're teaching Boston to respect his sister and all women and, for that matter, people. They're teaching Ridley not to take her teddy bear away from a two-year-old guest.

Remember the book that came out a number of years ago, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"? Isn't that really what it comes down to?

Let's see: Take small bites; Wipe your mouth; Wash your hands after you go to the bathroom; Share your Crayons; Smile for the camera; Do your best.

Do your best.
Behave responsibly.
Be a good citizen.

If I let my words and my actions be controlled by my ethics and my concern for my fellow man, then I challenge you to tell me what could go wrong (at least in a world filled with like-minded people).

WWJD?
What would Jan do?
Jan would be kind.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

"What would I, as a self-respecting ethical member of the human race, do?"

That's the only relevant question, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Who Wants Jelly Donuts? I just went through kindergarten (vicariously) and I tell you Jan. It didn't stick for most of the kids. My little guy practically got eaten alive for trying to be a compassionate respectful individual. You know what though? I wouldn't want him any other way.