Wednesday, July 16, 2008

How to Make Friends and Find Money

Y'know for years I've been grousing about not being able to meet any good men face to face. I've been saying I work and then I sing (and most of the men I sing with are gay or married) and then, at least in the Washington area, I go to my second job at Nordstrom (where most of the men are there with their wives or honeys).

At this stage in my life I've given up on meeting men, but now I've started to think I need some women friends and I'm getting smarter. Last night as I was driving home, I thought, "I need to take a class at YSU or hang out around some continuing education classes."

I had just finished spending three-quarters of my drive home on the phone with USAA looking for money. Suddenly it hit me. YSU wants advanced degrees in its instructors. I have an advanced degree! My vocation is something that people want to know how to do. I write. I could teach writing. I could both meet people and make money teaching writing at YSU.

After dinner, I ran next door and talked to Sherry and John, both professors at YSU. Sherry confirmed my instinct and is going to put me in touch with the proper person in the English department. Looks like I might be able to turn my stroke of brilliance into a part-time career that would carry into the future. And make me some friends. Oooh, I love it when that happens.

Money tree count: two trees so far. Good news: I'm up to just over $30K from two sources on my quest for $40K. Bad news: I've had to wipe out the babes' education fund, as you can't borrow against an account that's set up under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act. I've promised Ty and Jaci I'll give it back as soon as I'm on my feet again. I spoke in code in front of the babes; there's no way I want Boston to know I've just stolen—err, borrowed—over $16K from him, regardless of the fact that it all came from me in the first place! Tonight: list my three carat diamond ring on eBay and see if anybody bites. Ho hum, it's only a rock.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I teach in YSU's English Department. I hope our paths cross! You have a wonderful and distinct writing style...it's a natural fit.

Sorry about the real estate woes. After fourteen months, my sister just took at 20k hit on her house in Cornerburg. She had to because the bank called the loan, and it was going into default. She even helped the buyers with the downpayment, and now the buyers are squabbling over a decorative arbor that my sister removed from the house a year ago (before the buyers even expressed any interest).

Jan Crews said...

Lucy ;)
Thanks for making me smile.
j