Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gourmet Commuter Cuisine

(Note to occasional or new readers: my office is located 60 miles from my home, so my lifestyle includes lots of behind-the-steering-wheel time. And a further behind-the-scenes: I don't cook. I cooked when my boys were small. Now I don't cook. My DIL cooks; I clean. My DIL might rent me out to her friends for the right price, but cooking is not my strong suit.)

This morning started out great. Yesterday while waiting for a prescription to be filled at Giant Eagle, I found some soy protein powder. In my continuing attempts to stop these danged hot flashes, I realized I could add the soy protein to my breakfast on the mornings I'm not drinking Silk, and still get some soy. I was feeling very smart.

This morning I dressed for my date with the mammogram machine (I'm sure he has a name, but I haven't learned it yet.). Black Eileen Fisher rayon knit slacks, crisp white blouse, pearl and diamond drop necklace, pearl earrings, favorite Taryn Rose black patent slides.

I mixed my breakfast: Nature's Path Organic FlaxPlus Granola, onto which I sliced six strawberries. Then I spooned a half cup of unflavored low fat yogurt on top, and poured a scoop of soy powder on top of that. I started to stir it all together and made a note to myself—tomorrow I will put the soy powder on the granola and mix it up first, then slice the berries and add the yogurt.

I started driving and eating. I was not seventeen miles into my commute. I had not even reached Lake Milton. My elegant sterling plastic spoon caught on the side of my lovely porcelain plastic bowl and flipped unmixed soy powder all over my pristine knit slacks. That great Eileen Fisher rayon knit fabric has lots of little knit pockets where soy powder can lodge, and every bump on the highway lodges it deeper and deeper into those knit pockets.

To say I was miffed (kid-friendly for Poyally Rissed) is an understatement. I had to drive another fifteen or so miles to get to the rest area where I could pull over and brush it all off my lap and off the seat.

The moral of the story? Ummm, get up earlier? find a job closer to home? retire? Either of the last two will do.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hard boiled egg and an apple or protien bar and apple both with closed thermal cup of coffee - that was (and hopefully sopon again) my commuters breakfast. Had spilled yougurt once too often. hugs

Anonymous said...

You know? I left an elaborate comment about how nothing commute or non commute related in my life has probably ever been pristine, but the crux of it is i really do think you should retire in luxury.