Friday, July 04, 2008

The Best Band in the Land

Last night I sat in dress rehearsal behind an orchestra that has been called "the best band in the land" and "the finest in America". Oh! My! Gosh! What incredible sounds that group of instrumentalists produce!

On one hand, I want to muster up my courage to audition again in August to be able to sing with the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus to continue this incredible experience. On the other hand, I'm tired-tired-tired and doubt that I can continue this late night driving week after week, and especially during concert weeks.

But what a wonderful opportunity this has been.

Dress rehearsal was held in Severance Hall, which is an experience in and of itself. When I sat in the hall for the Sea Symphony performance several months ago, I looked at the decor in the hall and thought it would make a fabulous wedding gown for a mature and chic bride. Then I thought I had read somewhere that that was the inspiration for its decor. Now, as I research this post, I can't find that statement, so I'll have to believe that was my own imagination. Trust me—the combination of the visual stimulation of the hall and the aural stimulation of these musicians is out of this world.

As I drove home last night, I was treated to the fireworks display in Independence, Ohio. I love fireworks, and this was a great show. Then as I turned onto the Ohio Turnpike, I could see two displays, one at Blossom and one in Cuyahoga Falls. I smiled the whole way home.

Tomorrow night I'll sit on the back row of the chorus (I'm tall, hence the back row) on the stage in the pavilion at Blossom Music Center behind the Cleveland Orchestra and thrill to the excitement and fun of Carmina Burana, the lush melodies of Polovtsian Dances, and the percussive thunder of the 1812 Overture. And then I'll step outside and enjoy the fireworks. What a night.

Happy Fourth of July. God Bless America.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Robin Williams sang it best in his Broadway special, "Someone bless America."