Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lots of Help

Barbara called me yesterday morning to tell me the latest issue of Real Simple has announced a writing contest where the prize is $3,000. She complimented my writing style and said, "If you won, you could have your concert tour vacation to China."

The babes were in the car with me when I took the call. After I hung up, Boston wanted to know what it was about. After I told him it was a "writing contest", he said, "I want to do that. I love to ride my bike." I had to tell him it was a writing, not a riding, contest. But I told him he could do the writing contest, too.

Later on, after buying the magazine, we saw that contestants must be 18 years of age to participate. I told him if he wanted to write about the most important day of his life, I'd submit it to Real Simple for him anyway.

This morning after breakfast, he said, "Grandma, if you win $3,000, you could buy the house behind us."

Everybody's looking out for Grandma!

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Boston is such a sweetie. $3000 might buy A house in the Yo, but not necessarily the one behind you.

You SHOULD enter the writing contest.

Unknown said...

How exciting you have 3 ideas to work on! Yeah! As for Boston, even if RS doesn't publish him, I am sure there are publications out there that are looking for young writers. Hmmm... 3rd generation writer!

Anonymous said...

Ohh will we get to read it when you are done?

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jan - you write so beautifully I am sure you will be a winner.

Jan Crews said...

Yes, dears, you will be asked to read and choose which one is submitted. Not going to submit all three, as I believe they become the property of the magazine -- and they can't have all three! :)