Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Livin' Life On a Roller Coaster (Yet Again)

Kerrappp!

Last night I thought I had it all figured out.

This morning I placed my daily call to my mother and, wonder of wonders, she answered. During the trade of what's-news, I told her I had found $30K to borrow and was still looking for $10K. (This was after having to explain to her yet again why I'm having to pay $40K to sell a house. I've explained this twice already.) She said, "I can send you $10K." It's a good thing I wasn't on the freeway yet or I might have driven off the road. I wisely thought to ask, "Is this a gift or a loan?" She said, "I'll lend it to you." "Oh, thank you, Mother," I breathed. She said she would put a check in the mail today and I suppressed my skeptical thoughts that she might forget once she hung up the phone.

So here's a tip of the virtual hat to those of you who have e-mailed me and told me to "just ask her." I didn't actually ask, but I did open the door for her to display her latent generosity.

So that was the high of my real estate roller coaster for today.

Now the low.

I had to call USAA again this morning. I talk to a different representative in the investment department. It turns out what I thought I could do with the babies' mutual fund was not actually legal. Yes, I could close out the funds. But if I didn't use those monies for the benefit of the named beneficiaries—in this case Boston and Ridley—and the IRS happened to audit me, I could be subject to big penalties and taxes.

So poof! The $15K I thought I had located last night just dis-located itself.

Silly girl. You're the one with the law degree. Next time do your own damned research!

Now the count is at $25K, maybe $31K if I can work something out regarding another account. And at lunch I'll be running to a local jeweler to get the diamond solitaire cleaned so I can photograph it tonight.

Don't tell me. You don't want my life, right?

<Sidebar on>
As I was preparing this post, I searched my blog on "roller coaster" to see how many times I had written about living on a roller coaster. Ummm, too damned many times! Would somebody please push the button and stop the car while I'm at the platform and can get off‽
<Sidebar off>

<Thought-for-the-Day on>
"I finally know what distinguishes man from the other beasts: financial worries."
-Jules Renard
(From Real Simple, July 14, 2008)
<Thought-for-the-Day off>

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What goes now (in roller coaster world) should in theory also go back up!! Then you can get off the platform and skip down the stairs! That's the rollercoaster I would build!!

Unknown said...

Ummm... typo... What goes down...

Anonymous said...

There is absolutely no loophole for this? Can't Boston and Ridley open an account and start writing checks to you? This just seems very wrong and strangely Big Brother to me. If it's any consolation, I would be willing to trade lives with you just for colorful stories! (unfortunately, you probably would not enjoy the financial profile that would accompany my life...)