Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm Havin' a Pity Party. Anybody Wanna Come?

I've had a pretty tough couple of days at work (despite being permitting to telecommute yesterday). Sometimes I just want to throw all my belongings in a box and yell, "I quit." Then I remember all my newly acquired debt and rethink my position.

Anyway, about this party. I'm serving worms, warm prune juice, and for dessert, sauerkraut cake. Any takers?

That reminds me of a funny story. FOMC and I were living in Sarasota. The boys were about four and two. FOMC was working as Minister of Music and Youth at a small Southern Baptist church on the northeast side of Sarasota, the kind of church that has regular potluck dinners.

The little old ladies of the church could bring some verrry interesting dishes to these dinners. One of these sweet little bluehairs found a recipe for sauerkraut cake, purported to taste like applesauce cake. I had tasted a sauerkraut cake several times and it was, um, not bad. On the particular night in my memory, however, the lady who made the cake neglected the recipe instruction to "chop finely".

I took a bite into the cake, and the sauerkraut strings hung like spaghetti hangs from Boston's and Ridley's mouth when they eat pasta. It was, well, memorable. You may rest assured that I've never attempted a bite of sauerkraut cake since.

And thanks for indulging my pseudo-humorous memories in an attempt to fight my discouragement.

I'll be back tomorrow, in better humor, I'm sure. And I'll probably stop to pick up a bottle of Red Bicyclette Chardonnay on the way home this evening.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally! A reason to be glad I'm gluten-free! Sauerkraut cake is not on my list!!!

Jill said...

Wish we could just meet in the kitchen and vent as in past jobs.
Consider this a big, big hug.

Lucy said...

You're brave. I probably wouldn't have even tried sauerkraut cake (but I might have scraped off the icing).

I'm having an iffy kind of day myself--I'm feeling a little weird about some things. Not quite a pity party, but kind of like I'm making the same mistakes over and over.

I've decided to focus on hanging out with the girls, and we're having a pretty good time.

Unknown said...

OK ladies... we all need webcams and mojitos and we can have a drink together and unload!

Anonymous said...

I feel you sister. Im with lucy on the stopping at the icing re: sauerkraut cake. Now I think a pity party calls for alcohol and comforting junk food. Count me in for the mojito webcast. Ill bring the chocolate.

Jeannie said...

Did someone say chocolate?? And Mojito's!!! Can I come too?? :-) I'll bring the lime tostitoes and salsa .... and of course a shoulder to cry on for those in need!!