Monday, July 21, 2008

The Allure of Alliteration

We're all about alliteration in our house. I believe we have the PBS show "Word Girl" to thank for this. The babes are addicted, and Word Girl's words fly through our air on a daily basis. Boston uses "flabbergasted" in conversation at least five times a day.

But the uses of alliteration are hilarious. As you know, I'm raking the rugs (see?!) for money. Over the years I've collected lots of lampwork beads and am now having to release some of the more valuable ones back into the universe through eBay. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours sorting and culling. Boston was by my side and was only too happy to help. He oohed and aahed over all the wonky beads I had made back in my beadmaking days, and I let him keep them. We talked about how he could store them, and they became Boston's Bead Bag. When we were in Jo-Ann's a couple of weeks ago, he saw a $4.99 box of assorted buttons that he just wanted, with all his heart, although he couldn't elucidate why. I consented, and found a large jar for them when we got home. They have become Boston's Bottle of Buttons.

I have a flameworked frog that I bought from the uber-talented Deb Crowley about six years ago. One of the frog's legs had broken off and I need to glue it back on. Boston asked me yesterday if he could have the frog and I said yes. Last night as he was getting ready for bed, he lost his grip on the box that held the frog, and another leg broke off the frog. I want to tell you, the tears just flowed down this precious little boy's cheeks. I believe I can glue it all back together, but I've got a similar frog posted on eBay now, and I told him if no one buys it, he can have it.

If you haven't guessed by now, this child holds my heart in his hands!

8 comments:

Tyler said...

I beg to differ. Word Girl certainly gets credit for the remarkable blossoming in their vocabulary, but I believe I was the one who originally introduced them to and who has been working to fan the flames of fascination with consecutive consonants.

Jan Crews said...

Please pardon my poor parental post. I intended no insult. I tip my topper to your tutoring!

Tyler said...

Good grief, that's gradually grotesque ;-)

Jan Crews said...

Or gratuitously grotesque?

Jan Crews said...

I can't believe nobody else wanted to play with us today!

Unknown said...

Jeepers Jan, you and Tyler tell terrific tales of parenting prowess

Lucy said...

I'm lamenting my limp lipped limitations in appreciation of alliteration.

Anonymous said...

I actually can't even go as far as lucy and spent yesterday trying to come up with alliterations. I suck. No wait! I seriously suck! HA!