Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hit Me Once and Hit Me Twice and Hit Me Once Again

If you read the comments on this blog, you know that I learned last night that the inspector on the Chula Vista house decided the roof needed $400-$500 in repairs. Actually he decided the house needed a lot of things, and in his defense, the buyer has been very gentle with me.

Tyler and Jaci and I wanted to say "No,", but my sainted realtor, Tom Sloyan, prevailed. He really has been a rock through this process. I have tried to not be his highest-maintenance-client-ever, although I'm sure there are days he wishes he'd never met me. He's taken a commission cut on both transactions, and now he's offered to split the roof repair with me. The princely Gardener went over today and grounded the pool motor. Tom's partner, our esteemed Bill Gaul, called a handyman to fix a couple of other items. We're almost home. Or I'm almost homeless.

I do feel this buyer is getting a deal to beat all deals and I do feel he has taken advantage of me. Extreme advantage. But that's what this market has done to sellers like me, who have gotten overextended and have faithfully and painfully paid their bills every month. I'm afraid it will take me years to recover from this mortgage debacle. My grandchildren may be teenagers before I'm able to move out, but I will continue to mind my manners and do more than my share of the housework to try to not wear out my welcome.

In the meantime, I again salute all you proponents of affirmations. Jaci got me a gig today that's going to pay for my half of the roof repairs. Saturday and Sunday nights I'm playing the piano for a local show of some sort. I'm not really clear on all the details, but the money is exactly what I need to pay the repair bills.

Keep those positive vibes comin', Darlings!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

"But that's what this market has done to sellers like me, who have gotten overextended and have faithfully and painfully paid their bills every month. I'm afraid it will take me years to recover from this mortgage debacle."

You are not alone. My sister is having similar problems. What a disaster. But like you, she keeps a chin up, laughs with (and sometimes at) the kids and tries to find a little humor.

Anonymous said...

Sending you money in unexpected ways vibes! Lots and lots of them!

Jill said...

And when all the mortgage payments have gone away you will feel better. Just remember all this when you are voting in the fall.
Oops gotta go finsih filing for unemployment.

xoxojill

Jan Crews said...

Yes, Jill, it absolutely could be worse. I was reading my alliteration blog to Boston the other day and he said, "Grandma, it's Boston's Bottle of Buttons, not Beads." When I told him I had written it quickly at work because I needed to be working not blogging, he said, "But you could lose your job." I said, "Yeah." He said, "You shouldn't do that." Smart kid!