Friday, June 27, 2008

Whaaa??

Boston popped into my room, fully clothed and bouncingly awake, at 6:10 this morning. We chatted about various aspects of his life and I found him an educational game to play on my computer while I took my shower.

At some point he started talking about getting a job at Wal-Mart or Toys R Us or Sam's Club. I told him he should enjoy his ability to just play and learn all day and not rush into working. We talked about why people work, and about people training for specific jobs to help people, like doctors and lawyers and architects and research scientists. (You see where I'm going here, right? Get Your Education!)

He said, "I'm going to be a landscape architect."

I beg your pardon? The kid is not-yet-seven! And he knows the term "landscape architect"?! (Where's that interrobang when I need it?!) If somebody asked me, as a child, what I was going to be when I grew up, I had no idea. I had thought no further than "wife and mother". And anyway, the world was going to end, Christ was coming for the second time, in 1968, so it was a moot point. I used to cry that I wasn't going to get to grow up and get married and have a family. I didn't want Christ to come again so soon—I wanted a chance to live life. (Well, guess what. I've lived life, by the scenic route, and there has been less joy than pain. Woo hoo.) (Oh, yeah, and Christ hasn't come again, yet. The joke's on the Adventist church.)

Back to Boston and his future occupation. He can be a landscape architect or a scientist or whatever he wants. I've assured him I'm saving money to make sure he can get all the education he needs. But he should take his time and remain innocent of the politics that invades the workplace.

I'm angry at the politics of jobs. My dear friend, Jill, whom I frequently mention and who frequently comments here, e-mailed last night that she had lost her job. She had a perfect-fit job, which she performed with style and grace. She was recognized both in the University community and the community at large for her ability to pull together fabulous events, aptly and respectfully recognizing and honoring donors, and to always work within budget. And then the political-powers-that-be brought in a woman to work just above her, who denigrated and demeaned her work, who effectively tied Jill's hands in the workplace. And now, just having turned 60, she's jobless.

I want a magic wand. I want a winning lottery ticket. I want to banish the mean, selfish and self-centered people of the world to a desert island where they can all fight each other to be top dog.

Boston, take your time. Go play.

No comments: