Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Consumate Gentleman

I was deeply saddened yesterday to learn of the death of Tim Russert.

During John's illness and, especially, after he became unable to golf because of metastases in the bones, we would watch "Meet the Press" every Sunday morning and "The Today Show" every day. John held Tim Russert in the highest regard and derived much pleasure amid pain by viewing the broadcasts with which Tim was associated.

A number of months after John's death, I dated a man who attended the same church as Tim, and we would see him whenever we went to services there on Sunday morning. I resisted the urge to walk up to him and express my appreciation.

I did, however, write him an e-mail shortly after John's death just to tell him how much pleasure he provided a dying man. I don't know if he got it. I never heard back from him, but that's understandable.

How fitting that he died in the studio. How wonderful that he had just finished a vacation in Italy with his family. How comforting for his father that they had enjoyed a recent visit together.

My heart goes out to Tim Russert's family and friends over their loss. And my gratitude will always be with him for the professionalism he brought to his work life and the humanity he brought to all his activities.

No comments: