Sunday, June 08, 2008

Good News/Bad News

The babes and I went to my storage unit today so I could retrieve another sewing room box and some boxes of fabric. I've been getting very lonely for and needing to spend time with my fabric.

To my horror and alarm, I found several boxes starting to collapse from some sort of condensation on the floor. I don't know what to do. Do I need to rent a small apartment for my belongings until I sell the Tucson houses and figure out what's next? Fortunately, the U-Store-It assistant manager happened to walk in while we were there and was able to see the condensation on the floor where I had moved the box. I'm very concerned lest the condensation be prevalent in the entire unit and not just up front near the door.

I pulled five plastic boxes and one duffle bag of fabrics out, and one large box marked "Sewing Room Things." Then I was able to move some things around and put my small stepstool farther into the unit than it had been before. I leaned over the top of my boxed mattress and looked down. Hey! Two little round brown dowel-looking things. All I could see was about half an inch of the end. I wasn't sure what it was, but called Boston, who prides himself on being a little monkey.

I said, "I want you to slide along this box on your tummy, then see if you can reach down there and touch those arebrown things." When he pulled the first one up and handed it to me and I saw one pedal support for the piano, I was close to tears. I can't even imagine how much money I've just been saved, not having to have new supports crafted to match my piano. And he knew he had done "good". I told him that's one of the nicest things anyone's done for me in a very long time. He kept bringing it up the rest of the day, asking how long it's been since something that good has happened. "Since you were born?" "Since you were 16." "You're glad you have me, huh, Grandma?" Darned right!

And when Ridley asked her obligatory, "What was the best part of your day?" tonight as we were settling into bed, I answered, "Getting the pedal supports back."


Tonight I was helping Boston practice his piano lessons and was horrified to see how horribly out of tune the piano is after the move and three months of Very New Climate!!! Trust me—I'll be calling the tuner this week!

No comments: