Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Superpower

I've decided the superpower I want to have is to be able to view, in scrolling lights on a date's forehead, exactly what he's thinking. I think it would save a helluva lot of time in the dating process.

I don't want to have discussions with him about the characteristics or traits that he's thinking negatively about. And I certainly don't want to change [whatever] just because he doesn't like it. (Been there, done that. First marriage all over again.)

But if we're sitting over a first cuppa coffee or potato skins and he's thinking, for example, "Gosh, those are weird glasses" or "How could she hold such an inane belief about the freezing point of water", then I would be less prone to ponder or be pensive all night long, weighing his pros and cons and deciding what to do next.

I had a second date with a nice guy last week, but we just don't have much in common beyond being 58 and lonely and living in NE Ohio. I've been in enough relationships to know that's not enough to base one on. So I wrote him a note and said, "Don't think so." He wrote me back and said, "I was gonna say that."

Do you know what a relief it is to have a conversation like that? No hanging chads. No tossed barbs. Just adult conversation: you're nice but there's somebody better for you than me.

And with that, my profile is down off all dating sites, never to return.

Mark my word. No, really. Mark My Word.

No comments: