Monday, June 30, 2008

Google Docs

If you ever create a document that you need someone else to reference or edit, and you haven't used Google documents, you don't know what you're missing!

Google Docs enable you to create a file (think "Microsoft Word") or spreadsheet (think "Microsoft Excel") or a presentation (think "Powerpoint") that you store on Google's servers and share with others. By entering the other person's e-mail address, you can enable colleagues to either edit the document or merely read it. Because the documents are stored online, there's never any e-mailing back and forth of documents, and never any concern about who has the latest version of a particular document.

Tyler first told me about Google Docs several years ago. He has used them to write his program notes and then allow me to proof and edit them. I've used them for Tucson Chamber Artist press materials and board documents, adding the entire board of directors as collaborators.

Why are Google Docs on my mind this morning? A year ago, as I updated the Tucson Alumnae of Pi Beta Phi membership database with the annual update sent from the Pi Beta Phi International headquarters database, I made very detailed notes, hoping it would be my last year to make that update.

Last week I received an e-mail from the woman who has taken over those duties, asking if I could help her understand how to convert the headquarters' comma-separated-values (.csv) file into a useable format to update the database. Last night, prior to our phone call, I looked back through my Google Docs, patted myself on the back for storing the information in a Google Doc, and added her as a collaborator. Our phone call took ten minutes rather than two hours.

Today I'm thinking I'm brilliant. No, wait. I'm thinking the Google engineers are brilliant!
- - - - -
And with that summation, I enter Carmina Burana hell week. I don't know how prolific I'll be this week, as I have rehearsal with Bloosm Festival Chorus every night this week after work (except July 4th, she says, waving a flag). I'll get home from rehearsal after 11:00 every night, and get up again at 6:00 the next morning to do it all over again. Send me cyberstrength, please, but also know how much I'm enjoying singing this music.

Ta.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Drive carefully and enjoy the singing
xoxojill