Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Civility

I'm reading, on my daily commute, Scott McClellan's new book, "What Happened". A statement he made rang true with me.

America, at its best, matches a commitment to principle with a concern for civility. A civil society demands from each of us good will and respect, fair dealing and forgiveness. Some seem to believe that our politics can afford to be petty, because in a time of peace the stakes of our debates appear small. But the stakes for America are never small. We must live up to the calling we share. Civility is not a tactic or a sentiment. It is the determined choice of trust over cynicism, of community over chaos. And this commitment, if we keep it, is a way to shared accomplishment.


I don't like "politics". I don't like fighting and confrontation. I want people to play nice, for countries to play nice.

Civility is what I want for my country, regardless of who occupies the White House.

1 comment:

Jill said...

You are right on target - no manners, no civility.

xoxojill