Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

You know why I like going to my local Starbucks (Speedway & Country Club) on my way to work? Because everyone's so happy. It's not necessarily the coffee. It's not necessarily the yummy pastries. It's just the atmosphere.

I step up to the counter and order my tall.skinny.mocha.no.whip. I love that the "partner" at the counter instantly deciphers my words. It's like a secret code between us. I love that the people in front of me are hanging over the end of the counter delightedly anticipating their beverage. I love that the people behind me are anxiously awaiting their turn to say "no foam" or "extra shot" or "scone". I always feel like the partners at Starbucks are happy to see me, and I don't feel like it's tied to their income. They all seem to love working there and creating a wonderful atmosphere for those of us who walk through their door and purchase their wares.

This morning I noticed the young woman in front of me. She looked fabulous! She had on menswear tropical weight wool cuffed slacks in a butterscotch, tan and spring green plaid, a white cami, a spring green sweater, and a fabulous pair of butterscotch pointy-toe heels with matching bag. As I was waiting for my mocha, I stepped up and told her she looked fabulous today. She looked down at her outfit, smiled, then looked at me and said "Ann Taylor Loft."

I like that my words to her might give her a needed pick-me-up later in the day. I like how I felt about myself on paying her that small compliment. This morning, mocha in hand, I feel happy.

Hey, if that's all it takes, maybe I should buy Starbucks stock and stop in there every day!

<Counter On>
Twenty-one days until I go see my babies.
<Counter Off>

No comments: