Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Blacksburg

The stories that are coming out of Blacksburg are so disturbing.

I spend a little time here with the Pi Beta Phi actives, and I am always so impressed by them. I love their zest for living. I love their vivacious spirits. We have a Pi Phi chapter at VPI, and this morning I was wondering if any of the girls who died yesterday were Pi Phis.

That took me back to FSU in May of 1970 when I was a pledge to Alpha Xi Delta. When the Kent State shootings occurred, we quickly learned that the girls were members of Alpha Xi. The Alpha Xi chapter at FSU quickly got black ribbons which we all, pledges and actives, wore under our sorority pins for the next week or so.

My heart goes out to the families of those killed in Blacksburg, especially the parents of the students. A parent should never have to bury a child.

No comments: