Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fly Paper

Mary Ann Something.or.other, who shared a secretarial bay with me at IBM in Irving, TX, in 1981, referred to me as fly paper for men. Either she didn't approve of the sort of man who was attracted to me, or she was jealous.

Sunday morning I went to Beyond Bread for breakfast, hoping some nice-looking and interesting man might notice me. I was noticed. But the man who noticed me was sitting with his wife, who was totally engrossed in the Sunday newspaper. He glanced at me, then looked at me, then stared at me. (If I were his wife, I would have smacked him!) I glanced at him, then ignored him, then glanced again, ignored again, and so on.

The last time I glanced at him, he was flossing. FLOSSING HIS TEETH. IN A PUBLIC PLACE. IN A RESTAURANT! I didn't bother glancing any more.

Truly a fly!

1 comment:

Traveler said...

Found on the web:
New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks
order, the bigger the jerk. If you walk into a
Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy,
half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread
cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one
Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge JERK!

I kinda have the feeling you aren't one of these people. They have also been known to floss their teeth while waiting at a light or performing a nose-mining job looking in the rear view mirror.
Ohh, what a JERK!

Traveler