Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hi-tech; Slo-mo

I may have mentioned that my laptop was ailing. The touchpad is no longer touchable, so I'm having to use an external mouse. I sit in bed with my laptop and try to find suitable flat surfaces to run the mouse across. I am not frequently successful. It doesn't like my bedside glass-topped table. It doesn't like the space to the right of the touchpad. It doesn't like any of a number of books I place on the bed beside me to act as a mouse pad. I bought a wireless mouse to use, thinking that would work better, but I can't get the darned thing to work. Reading through my mail and surfing the 'Net is taking two to three times longer than usual.

Then, to add insult to injury, when I got home last night I didn't hear the distinctive whirring of the very loud fan on my desktop. Uh oh. Powered down. Powered up. Several times. No joy. I think the power supply is dead. If there's a god (Tyler! Hush!), I will get good help when I take the system unit into the computer shop this weekend. Cross your fingers. I've got tons o' stuff on that hard drive and, like anybody else in this reading audience, insufficient backups.

4 comments:

TJ said...

Power supplies are usually pretty cheap, and - if you can get past a fear of cracking open the back/side of a computer, there's nothing that isn't sautered to the motherboard that's all that complicated to replace.

jc said...

I'm trusting you mean soldered. :-)

TJ said...

Hey, if it's stuck on there, I'm not messing with it. It could be sautered, soldered, jammed, or peanut buttered!

jc said...

Your spelling just surprised me, as you're as much of a word wonk as I am. :-)