Saturday, April 21, 2007

Gun Control

I'm fairly apolitical. I don't like to discuss politics; I don't like to argue - about anything, politics or religion or anything else. But I am so troubled by the massacre in Blacksburg.

Tyler says "gun control" to me. But I used to be married to a hunter and I've heard all the arguments about needing to thin out the deer population.

How do you reconcile all that? What guns go and what guns stay? What about the police? What about the military? What happens to handguns when they wear out? Is there a big incinerator they go into so they aren't rebuilt and fall into the wrong hands?

What do the Europeans do about this? The Asians?

I visited Singapore with Steve in January of 2001. It's one of my favorite cities in the world, partially for the glorious flora and fauna, partially for the fact that I was able to pick up a $150 Donna Karan top for $20, but primarily because I felt so safe. I rode the bus all over that city and never feared for my safety, never felt like I had to strap my purse to my body to avoid having it stolen. I am hesitant to ride the bus in strange cities, and I especially don't travel "all over the city". But in Singapore, the penalties are swift and sure and known. A 'bad actor' in Singapore knows before he ever performs the bad act exactly what the penalty will be and that there's no getting around it.

How can we save the U.S. from all the handgun crime — the armed robberies, the mass shootings, the domestic crime? I have no answers. But I'm questioning, and I'd love to hear logical answers.

1 comment:

Traveler said...

Let's put this in perspective about sudden, violent deaths in the U.S.
2007 year-to-date for auto and pedestrian deaths: 14,560.

2007 year-to-date for poverty related deaths (exposure,disease, trauma) 3,500.

I can't get a varifiable number on domestic violence murders without using a firearm but, I'm sure it's more than 2,000.

That's more than 18,000 innocent Americans this year that have died suddenly and didn't deserve it.

Traveler