Friday, April 20, 2007

It Takes All Kinds

(and I usually follow that statement by jokingly saying "and I've been married to one of each.)

Last night I was honored to be able to play background piano in the dessert/silent auction room for the UAPresents UNGala and then to listen to a performance of the new-to-me fabulous band Pink Martini.

Jill mentioned to me beforehand that one gentleman had requested that he and his wife be seated as far from the stage as possible. I believe Jill quoted him as saying his wife didn't like music. What? I don't think I have ever in my life met a person who didn't like music. I don't love country. I don't even categorize rap as music. But to not like music?!

The event last night was fabulous. I believe there were 300 guests, each having paid $250 to attend. There were round tables set on the stage, replete with linen tablecloths, each table lit from above with a red spotlight. Backstage right were buffet tables from four of the Tucson Originals (local to Tucson) restaurants. Cuvée had an incredible portabella mushroom slice topped with risotto and spinach and a cheese. I could have eaten a plateful of those! Backstage left in the Green Room was a small silent auction with some truly lovely pieces, a dessert table by Kingfisher/Blue Fin, the bar, and me. In the middle of the tables on stage was another grand piano with a pianist. There was not one element that Jill and the other staff members hadn't thought of and planned for. It was a truly elegant evening.

Upstage was a raised stage and this is where Pink Martini performed. The cleared area in the center of the stage became a dance floor. And boy, were there some fabulous dancers there. Oh, how I wish I could dance like that. I absolutely love watching dancers who make it look so fluid.

I learned something about myself last night. The piano in the Green Room was situated with the "nose" in the corner, next to the bar, so that my back was to the room. Every so often I would crane my neck to look around, but for the most part I was completely alone with my thoughts. For the first hour, no one spoke to me. It was as if I was playing simply for myself.

I didn't like that. I got bored and had a hard time staying engaged. I realized that what I liked about playing at Nordstrom was that I could watch everyone, make eye contact, smile, and that people would walk up and speak to me. In the final half hour last night, about six people came up and spoke to me and that felt wonderful after the enforced silence. Next time I'll know to suggest the piano be turned around.

Note to self: pay more attention to the back when styling your hair!

Note to Jill: Kudos! You did a fabulous job. I know how hard you worked on this event, and it paid off handsomely. Thanks for giving me this opportunity.

No comments: