Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Toto, We're Not In Tucson Anymore

I've been spending lots of time at the mall. I haven't spent time in malls since I worked at Nordstrom and would make a quick lap from Nordie's to Macy's and back on my break.

The children are trapped inside the house with the cold and snow and rain, so I've packaged trips to the play area at the mall with my errand trips, or a Sunday morning trip to McDonald's to let the babies play while their parents sleep or relax over a quiet breakfast.

You know how I love clothes and people-watching. I have to tell you it's astonishing to see men in suits. Tucson is so low-key where fashion is concerned. There are some very expensive shops in the foothills, and plenty of high society fund-raisers where people dress to the "nines." But the norm is ultra-casual, jeans, Ts, sandals. It is not unusual to see an IBM or Raytheon engineer wearing shorts and sandals to work in January.

The other thing that's a shock to see is that there are actually people walking around the mall midday midweek. I guess they're retired or students or housewives, but it just feels so odd to see people who spend time at the mall.

Of course, this is being written by someone who has spent no less than half an hour at either the mall or McDonald's play room every day for the past four days!

2 comments:

Jill said...

You seem to be getting settled but make sure there is "Jan time". - can't wait to hear about the job. By the way I met the Traveler when I stopped by Rio to ask them to participate in the UNgala.

xoxojill

Stan said...

Re: people in malls in the middle of the day, midweek.........
There's high unemployment in YoTown.
It's not all stay-at-home housewives & geriatric mall walkers.
Southern Park & Eastwood Malls are nice. I like the aquarium at the Eastwood. Have Boston & Ridley seen it? There's a great aquarium store, for kids, across from the aquarium. Lots of neat things. Stuffed fishes, etc...

BTW...
Tell Toto, clicking your heels three times, will do you no good.
;-)