Saturday, March 15, 2008

Friends in Space

This morning I drove to Akron. (Yes, I know I drive there every day and this is the weekend, but this was for fun!) A Facebook cyberfriend had flown to Ohio to stay with her aunt in Akron and visit her son, who is a junior at Kent State. Barbara and I were members of Tyes sorority at Florida Technological University (now University of Central Florida) about ten years apart a thousand years ago. We have much in common, including a love of words and an utter devotion to our bright, talented sons.

We met at an interesting restaurant, Hattie's Café, for lunch, then went to Don Drumm Studios & Gallery for an hour of admiring beautiful hand-crafted things. Oh my gosh. If you're ever within fifty miles of Akron, the Drumm gallery is a must-drive, must-see.

If my checkbook wasn't in so much pain from the move, there are several hand-crafted ceramic mugs I would have loved to add to my collection. And the jewelry. Oh, my gosh, the jewelry. I'm a connoisseur, but there were pieces there unlike anything I've ever seen or dreamed.

You can bet Barbara and I will be meeting up at Don Drumm's again on her next visit.

I'm glad I live in an era where I can make friends around the world online and then have the opportunity to meet them in person. I was absolutely not born after my time!

No comments: