Saturday, March 08, 2008

It's Still Winter!



Today is only the 8th. Spring arrives on the 20th. That's twelve long days.

I had a delightful experience on Friday morning with Michael and Naija, third graders at Fairlawn Elementary in Akron. Then I stopped by Starbucks for a delicious TGIF mug o' mocha. As I was driving to the office, the snow began falling. First very gently, then faster and faster and denser and denser. I left the office at 3:45 and arrived home at 5:45. For a good portion of the journey on I-76 and I-77, I was traveling 5-10 miles per hour. Jaci was just finishing shoveling the driveway when I arrived.

Boston, being very sick, skipped dinner and went to sleep in Ridley's bed (the lower bunk) in case he got urpy in the night. I watched a little television with Tyler then took Ridley to bed with me so she wouldn't have to sleep in the top bunk. Ridley moves around a lot in her sleep and also talks. Even though she started out two-thirds of the way across my king-sized bed, by about 11:00 pm, I had about 13 inches of bed for myself and she was snugged up against me—and stayed that way all night.

This morning there was sleet, then rain, then snow. And more snow. And even more snow.

I was supposed to go to dinner at the Youngstown Club and to the Symphony with Ron and Marcia. Around 3:00 p.m. Ron called to tell me the YSO and the Youngstown Club had called to cancel, and the Youngstown Country Club was also closed. The kids have shoveled a little more today, and as I type Jaci is in the garage trying to figure out how to run the snow blower.

Cold. Cold. Cold.

Yes, I asked for this. And yes, it's fun. But I will be glad when it stops.

2 comments:

Traveler said...

Oh my! I couldn't ride my motorcycle living there. I would have to be shoveling snow too or figuring out how to run a snow blower. What is a snow blower? I've never seen one.

Traveler

Jill said...

But it is not hot!!! Four season - I am jealous.
xoxojill