Friday, March 28, 2008

Slaving Over a Hot Steering Wheel

If you know me, you know I don't cook. I can, if I have to. But I prefer not to. I cooked when my boys were little. But nowadays, I grab a sandwich for lunch while running errands, and am perfectly happy with a bowl of cereal for dinner. Anytime I cook, I spend a great deal of time apologizing to those who will eat the fruits of my labor.

My oft-repeated phrase is that I'd rather slave over a hot sewing machine or a hot computer than a hot stove.

An anonymous commenter (who I think is a creative girlfriend in California) asked about the second dates and if there would be third dates. I've come to realize over the past handful of days that I'm tired. I'm just plain tired.

I have no chance to slave over a hot sewing machine or a hot computer (or, even, a hot stove) as I'm spending so much time slaving over a hot steering wheel. The only exercise I'm getting lately is hopping out of the car at the gas station to fill up the tank.

I've met three very nice men, with whom I enjoyed sharing tales and anecdotes over random restaurant tables. But I don't know how to keep up the pace I've set for the past two weeks. I think I'm going to say no more weeknight dates. And my weekends are, for the most part, filled with my grandbabies. So where does that leave very nice men? I'm afraid that leaves them scouring the profiles on Match to find some other nice woman with whom to dine.

I joined the Akron General Lifestyles gym yesterday. They have a deal with my employer, and for $5 per pay period I get a full gym membership. Truthfully? It's in my best interest to spend an hour at noon or after work toiling at the gym. Three hours a week at the gym now may help ensure that I can still walk without a cane or a walker at age 80. Three hours over dinner tables with nice men will do nothing of the sort.

They're nice. I'm tired.

I don't know the answer to the commenter's question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I empathize with your dilemma. I think I am one of those three nice guys. I would like to see you again as I had a great time. I do understand,however,the hectic nature of your schedule and the desire to spend more time on yourself and with your family. Perhaps there is a happy medium-only you know this answer. Whatever you choose I wish you luck because you are a nice lady.
Have a good night :)

Anonymous said...

Jan, it's nice to see that you are planning to go past the big 80. Optimism always wins out over being forlorn. When you reach 90, I can see you slaving over a sewing machine making custom cane covers.

Traveler