Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Birds and Birdseed

Yesterday as I was coming back to the office from lunch, I saw a cardinal fly across the road. His brilliant red coloring was a stark contrast to the blanket of snow across the landscape.

This morning I heard a bird singing as I locked the back door of the house and walked across a newly fallen inch of snow (on top of the existing six inches of snow/ice/mess).

There's hope. Spring will be here in nine days. Along I-77 as I drive to work I see billboards with rotating signs on them. This morning I noticed one of the signs is a golden yellow background with the words "Spring begins March 21." You think people are so distraught from the cold that they have to be reminded? I don't have to be reminded! It's indelibly etched in my memory. Spring is almost here. The enervating snow will be gone soon.

I have not yet mastered getting out of the house quickly, but I did hit upon one solution this morning. I poured a serving of Optimum Slim cereal into a bowl and sliced an apple on top. That and a bottle of water makes the perfect portable breakfast. I have taken this cereal to work as a snack in the past and find it almost as good as Chex Mix. I can't handle a spoon and a bowl of granola or oatmeal at 75 mph, but I can handle birdseed in a dish in my lap.

Who cares what my fellow drivers think when they see me eating this way? I'm saving time and I'm getting my nutrition.

Works for me!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Mine is a protein bar, apple and cup of coffee down Oracle Rd each AM. xo jill