Monday, February 26, 2007

Women Are a Miracle

I think it's absolutely miraculous how women connect with each other and are not afraid to divulge personal facts. When we self-disclose, we learn more about ourselves and the women to whom we're disclosing learn more about themselves.

My new Sunday afternoon ritual is to print the crossword puzzle from the Washington Post Magazine and take it to Starbucks for a tall skinny mocha (no whip) and a baked goodie. When I sat down yesterday at the new S'bux on Broadway at El Con Mall, the woman sitting across from me was surrounded by papers containing musical scribblings. We started talking about music, then education, then children, and we ended up having exchanged cards. She's referring a friend to me for an accompaniment job that she was offered but feels she's not up to.

Do I think that exchange would ever have happened if we had both been men? No way! I think "how 'bout them [fill in the name of the team]" is about as far as any conversation would have gotten. (But any male readers are welcome to dispute my words in a comment.)

1 comment:

Traveler said...

One man to another at Starbucks,"Hey, is that your BMW out in the parking lot?" The other guy,"yes, it is." First man,
"I used to own a Harley several years ago but I had to sell it because of the divorce." The other guy's response: "Gee, that's a bummer dude!"

Traveler