Thursday, February 15, 2007

My New Favorite Restaurant

I've always wanted to be the kind of person who was known by name when she entered a restaurant. John had that at Hidden Creek Country Club. Then in the summer of 1996, Cashion's Eat Place opened on Columbia Road in Adams-Morgan. We ate there the first or second night it was open and fell in love with the place. We went the next morning for brunch. From then on we ate there every Thursday night. And when we drove past every day on our way home from work, if there was a parking space on the curb across the street, we said God wanted us to eat dinner at Cashion's. We'd sit at the bar, talk to Scottie Bennett, the bartender, and Johnny Fulchino, co-owner with Ann Cashion, share a couple of appetizers and a couple of vodkas, and cement this lovely relationship. When John died, Scottie, Johnny, and the hostess who had also been our tenant for a while all attended his memorial service.

A couple of weeks ago a new restaurant opened on Grant about 4 blocks from my house. Rio Café is "Latin fusion", a little white tablecloth establishment in a funky A-frame structure, about 12-15 tables. Last Thursday night when I was having my "the babies are leaving" meltdown, Frank took me there to eat. The co-owner, Richard, was circulating among the tables, and he reminded me so much of Johnny Fulchino that I felt like I was back home in Cashion's.

So last night on Valentine's Day, rather than sit home bemoaning the fact that I'm alone, I took myself to Rio Café for dinner. Actually, I just wanted the creme brulée, worked my way up to dessert with the crab cake appetizer and a glass of this fabulous South African chardonnay. I sat at the bar and talked to Richard and met the co-owner, Eduardo. What a delightful experience. I think this may be my new Wednesday night tradition.

Oh joy, another restaurant where they speak to me by name when I walk through the door.

No comments: