Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Empty Nests

I've had a houseguest for a week. A lovely lady named Bindy Lambell is a glass beadmaker (lampworker) from Orange County, CA. I've known her for about six years and she's just a darling. She is generous with her knowledge and with her time. She loves working with glass and sharing her love of glass with others. We have dinner every year when she's in town for the bead shows. My gift to her this year was to save her several hundred dollars by offering her my spare bedroom when she was in Tucson for the Best Bead Show.

Bindy's gift to me was far greater than mine to her. She gave me the gift of another person in my home, someone to talk to when I got home at night, someone to bounce ideas off and just share life with for a few days. As I drove home from rehearsal tonight, I realized my house was empty again. It emphasized, as I'm counting the hours (<96) until Tyler and Jaci and the babies leave, how empty my life is/will be.

I don't like being alone. But I'd rather be alone than with someone incompatible with my lifestyle. The eternal dilemma.

No comments: