Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Patience

I know this blog was conceived around thoughts of the pain and frustration of dating when one is past the age of 50. But there's no dating going on in my life and, really, no hope for any dating action. So I talk about other things.

I had the first glimmer of hope on the job circuit yesterday. Someone at LexisNexis left a message on my voicemail saying they would like to set up an interview in response to my application for the position of Associate Director of Government Relations. Ah, a light in the tunnel!

I spoke for ten minutes this morning with Nikki Daugherty, the director of government relations. It was a screening interview, just to see what the skill and interest match might be before they move farther with the interview, before they spend any money on flying me in.

First she asked about my desire to move east and whether Charlottesville was within what I termed the Washington Metropolitan Area. I told her how I loved Charlottesville, have relatives in Richmond and friends in C'ville and have spent many lovely weekends in Wintergreen. I also said I'm trying to find something centrally located between Asheville, where my 93yo mother lives; Youngstown, where my son and his family live; and Washington.

She asked why LexisNexis and why that position. I said LexisNexis because of the prestige of the company. And that position — well, I don't fit into anyone's niche. I have a broad-based set of skills, including programming, writing and editing. When you put that together with the law degree, it takes a particular visionary to see that knowledge and experience in his or her environment. I said I thought I have ten or twelve years to retirement and want something I can master and do well in for the rest of my career.

She asked how I feel about travel and said they travel about 50% of the time. I said I'd welcome it. The only thing I have to come home to is a cat.

So she's going to present her thoughts to the VP to whom she reports and will get back to me in a week to ten days.

Fingers crossed, prayers said, good thoughts spun out into the universe . . . .

No comments: