Sunday, February 25, 2007

Motivation, Interest, Passion

Oprah (along with many others) keeps saying, "follow your passion." Unfortunately, right now I don't feel like I've got passion for anything.

Normally I try to get a lot done on the weekends, always there are projects requiring my attention. Yesterday I stayed in my pajamas, doing Sudoku puzzles and watching old movies on TV until about 3:00 p.m.! Gotta break that pattern!

Jill and I had a lovely light supper at Caffe Milano on Broadway last night before the concert. I told her about the evening with Mr. Match and how I wish he'd either take me or leave me. How I wish he'd step up to the plate and have a relationship with me. I've had some level of involvement with this man since June 26, 2006. Jill's opinion is that if it were to be a relationship, it would have already happened. I have always thought Jill was a very wise woman, and I think she just displayed that wisdom again!

The concert was — searching for an adjective. Nice? Good? Chava Alberstein is very talented, is a creative composer (no, those terms are not synonyms), and has a lovely voice. But coming back to passion, there was not a lot of passion in this concert, nor did I feel a connection with the music. Those of you who know me well know that certain music can pull my heart out of my chest and caress it. This music did not. True, it was sung (all except for one song) in Hebrew and Yiddish, neither of which are my second language. I was glad when the concert was over, but also glad to get to spend some time with Jill. I'll see her again on Wednesday night when Gail Remaly and I are going to hear Denyce Graves.

When I started working at the Tucson Symphony, my butt was in a seat for every concert of every set of every series. After about six months that fascination waned and I started just attending one concert of every set. But that was primarily classical music, and there was something on every concert I loved. In her position with UAPresents, Jill has to attend every single concert. Ouch. That's a very varied set of programs and I feel for her, as there must be some real times of yawning (or discretely sneaking out after intermission).

My passion for today? Getting my taxes finished so I can turn them over to the accountant!

No comments: