Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Yippee!!

Okay, you know I have a sad life when the high point of my week, maybe even my month, is being accepted into a study for a new drug to control hot flashes!!

As I think about (wait just a minute while I lean over to turn on my fan) applying for jobs and competing in the marketplace, I'm worried about having a power surge during a job interview. I've applied for a job with Blackbaud as a consultant for Raiser's Edge — a job I would really love to have. The job involves 80-100% travel and sitting in clients' offices around the U.S. for four days at a time. The thought of hot flashes in that situation is alarming and embarrassing.

There's a drug which was developed for diabetic neuropathy and the pain of shingles. When menopausal women took the drug for those causes, they noticed they weren't having hot flashes. So now the company is trying to get the drug certified for hot flashes. I Googled, and wonder if it's Lyrica.

My first appointment is February 5th, when the doctor will explain the study and let me say whether I want to be involved. I'll have to keep an extensive diary recording all my hot flashes (it will be a very large diary!). But that's nothing if this drug will take them away.

Cross your fingers!

No comments: