Sunday, January 28, 2007

Apples Falling From Trees

Yesterday I had a conversation with Bob Wade, whom I've known as long as I can remember. We went to the same church as kids, then the same elementary school and high school. In two months we will join our classmates at our 40th high school reunion.

He had taken his aunt to dinner after church yesterday and ended up at the same restaurant as my older brother. He was saying to me how much my brother, Jerry, resembles my dad. I remember when Jerry got married about five years ago, seeing him in a suit at the front of the church brought tears to my eyes — it was as if Daddy was standing there. Daddy died in 1984 and I still miss him almost daily.

Bob started reminiscing about Daddy, whom everyone associated with Florida Sanitarium & Hospital (now Florida Hospital) knew. Bob's aunt worked in medical records for many years. Bob told me how his aunt always said how nice Dr. Crews was, that he treated everyone, from the hospital administrator to the janitor, with the same respect.

How nice to hear my thoughts about my daddy validated by a friend. I like to think that everything that is good in me came from my daddy, even though we share no DNA.

No comments: