Thursday, January 11, 2007

Decisions, Decisions!

My therapist and I discussed my life situation for 45 minutes yesterday. Do I want to keep working for another ten years? Do I want to become self-employed through technical writing or database application development on a contract basis for remote companies?

Her suggestions include figuring out what my budget would be and determining how much more I'd have to earn to live comfortably. One of the most appealing benefits of being self-employed is the ability to work the hours (and as many or as few hours) I want, leaving time to play with grandbabies or sew or volunteer for charitable organizations to my heart's desire.

When I mentioned to her the possibility of taking the bar exam and practicing on a part-time basis, she stated that there are many, many lawyers who can write wills or draft contracts, but there are far fewer geeks who can perform the technical writing or database development tasks that I do so well.

We also discussed the man situation in my life. She stated the obvious: in my age bracket, there are far more women in the market than men. Maybe the addition of a man to my life is going to be a fluke rather than an eventuality I can depend upon. Sad, but true.

Stay tuned . . . .

No comments: