Friday, January 26, 2007

The Yellow Buick

A thousand years ago, husband #1 and I, along with our darling babes, aged four and two, lived in Sarasota, Florida, where the husband was minister of music and youth at a small Southern Baptist church. (Ooooh, what does that tell you about the state-of-head of TJ, Tyler, and myself?) There was a darling retired couple in the congregation who were in their mid-70s.

The time came for this couple to buy a new car and they knew it would probably be the final car purchase of their lives. Since she had been in her 20s, the wife had longed for a yellow Buick. Each time they bought a new car, she would look at yellow Buicks, but then they would always buy something else. The days and weeks of car shopping passed, and they finally made their purchase — not a yellow Buick.

When I asked her why she didn't insist on the yellow Buick, she replied simply, "but then I'd have nothing to look forward to."

If I find my ultimate man, the ultimate relationship, the cohabitation deluxe, will I have nothing to look forward to?

1 comment:

Traveler said...

Sure you will...waking up next to him every morning!

Traveler