Saturday, January 27, 2007

Everything Old Is New Again

Well, not necessarily. I know a few people who embrace that adage. My friend Oveta has recently reconnected with her high school boyfriend and later this year, in their 50s, they will marry. My high school friend Jeanne reconnected with her high school love and walked with him to his death from prostate cancer. They had two wonderful years together after a lifetime apart.

But I believe those are the exceptions to the rule. I told the story here a while back of the man I had dated twenty years ago and went to Virginia Beach to see with the thought of possibly reconnecting with him. That was a classic case of everything old not being new again.

My friend, the Traveler, saw his high school love on Match and excitedly awaited their first date after years apart. Alas, her years of smoking and drinking had taken their toll. And while she was the same sweet girl on the inside, the outside (and her state of health) was incompatible with who he now is and what he wants for his life. Another dream laid to rest.

The more I speak with the Old Beau, the more I remember the details of our six months together in 1999. And the less inclined I am to try to make that old relationship new again.

Life moves on, for a reason.

No comments: