Monday, January 08, 2007

Raw Edges

One of the things I pride myself on in my sewing is the beautiful workmanship inside the garment. I painstakingly apply Hong Kong finish to the raw edges and enclose seam allowances in a bias strip or line garments that weren't really designed to be lined, just for the purpose of having garments as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside.

But my life feels like it's all raw edges right now. I had the babies again on Saturday night, and next Saturday night will be the Last Sleepover. I'm trying to stay sane and enjoy every moment with them.

Boston is very aware of the impending exit. He's making sure he uses everything he enjoys in my house, and has started identifying items he wants to take with him. Yesterday, while I was in another room, he climbed up on the kitchen counter to get his favorite glass out of the cupboard. (TJ, it's the etched glass mug from your wedding!)

When Boston is at my house, he sleeps with the blankie I made for Tyler when he was nine or ten. Tyler and Scott/TJ would spend their holidays and summers with me. Tyler remembered the blanket he had as an infant and toddler, which caught fire in a space heater and had to be reduced to a pillow. He asked me to make him a new blanket, which I did and still have. It's flannel with racecars on one side, and white silky nylon on the other. Yesterday, when asking me if he could take it to Ohio with him, Boston dictated to me exactly what he wanted me to write on the white side: Boston Sleepover with Grandma; This was Daddy's blankie when he was a boy.

Cute. Cute. Cute.

Oh, how I'll miss these babies' presence in my day-to-day life.

No comments: